The benefits of Continuing Professional Development for driver trainers
You can practise Continuing Professional Development (CPD) in different ways. For example, you can:
- update your teaching or driving skills
- attend local or national meetings or seminars
- research new vehicles for your business
- spend time developing your business skills
- attend formal courses
- spend time on the internet carrying out desktop research
- network with other driving instructors
Effective CPD will enhance your job satisfaction and improve your overall performance.
As part of modernised driver training, the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) plans to roll the CPD initiative out across the other driver trainer categories as part of the wider modernising driver-training program to:
- motorcycle trainers
- lorry instructors
- bus and coach instructors
The DSA is planning to launch a tool on the Directgov website to enable the public to search for a driving instructor by postcode. If an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) has registered their commitment to CPD online via the Integrated Register of Driver Trainers, they can have their details highlighted to enable the public to make an informed choice when choosing their instructor.